Chief of Police
Oxnard Police Department
R. Jason Benites
OXNARD POLICE DEPARTMENT
|INCIDENT:||DUI/Driver’s License Checkpoint|
|DATE/TIME:||March 7, 2015 / 2000-0300 Hours|
|LOCATION:||City of Oxnard|
|PREPARED BY:||Senior Officer Jamie Brown, Traffic Coordinator|
CONTACT PERSON &
Senior Officer Jamie Brown (805) 385-7749
On Saturday, March 7, 2015, between the hours of 8:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m., the Oxnard Police Department Traffic Unit will be conducting a multiple location DUI/Driver’s License Checkpoint at an undisclosed location within the city limits. Officers will be looking for signs of alcohol and/or drug impairment while also ensuring drivers are properly licensed. Specially trained officers will be available to evaluate those suspected of drug-impaired driving.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), checkpoints have provided the most effective documented results of any of the DUI enforcement strategies, while also yielding considerable cost savings of $6 for every $1 spent. Nearly 90 percent of California drivers approve of DUI checkpoints.
How to Report a Drunk Driver
1. Call 911 to report a suspected drunk driver. **You do not have to give your name**
2. Provide a complete description of the vehicle, such as make, model, color and license plate number.
3. Describe the exact location of the vehicle, including the name of the road, cross streets and the direction the vehicle is traveling.
4. Describe the manner in which the vehicle is being driven.
5. Do not try to stop the car or detain the driver. Leave that to a law enforcement officer.
Funding for this checkpoint is provided to the Oxnard Police Department by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, reminding everyone to ‘Report Drunk Driver – Call 9-1-1.
DATE / TIME PREPARED: March 5, 2015 / 1900 hours