The Oxnard Police Department has put together some tips to assist our community members in recognizing potentially dangerous situations. By taking a few simple precautions, you can reduce the risk to yourself and also discourage those who commit crime.
CRIME PREVENTION IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!
- DO stay alert and be aware of your surroundings;
- DO stay in well-lit areas;
- DO NOT carry large amounts of cash;
- DO NOT travel alone. There is safety in numbers.
- Never open the door to a stranger;
- Never take anything from or talk to a stranger;
- Never give your name or address to a stranger;
- If a stranger tries to follow or grab you RUN AWAY AND SCREAM!
- DO lock vehicle windows and doors;
- DO park your vehicle in well-lit areas;
- DO NOT leave your keys in your car, on or off;
- DO NOT leave any valuable items in your car;
- DO NOT pick up strangers.
- DO consider forming a Neighborhood watch. Neighbors working together in cooperation with police make one of the best crime fighting teams!
- DO consider alarm systems;
- DO have well-lit doors, windows and yards at night;
- DO NOT leave windows or doors open/unlocked if you are away;
- DO NOT enter your house if you see evidence of a burglary. Llamada 911 and wait elsewhere for police arrival.
- If you meet a burglar, let him go! Better to lose money or property than your life!
- traductores de español están disponibles para las personas de habla hispana que llaman para reportar un crimen. Llamada 911 o 805.385.7740 desde un teléfono celular. Decirle a la operadora que habla español y necesita un traductor.
- It’s okay to be anonymous. If you would like to remain anonymous, let the dispatcher know! To report crimes anonymously call 805.486.8362.
- The police department does not discriminate on the basis of immigration status. A victim is a victim and we will take your report.
Numbers to know:
- No es de emergencia
- Narcóticos Hotline
- Gun and Gang Hotline
For further information and crime prevention materials, contact Detective Crystal Walker at 805.385.7668 o crystal.walker @ oxnardpd.org.